Search   
 
 
 
Click on images for larger view
THE WHITMAN HOUSE, FARMINGTON, CONNECTICUT.

Noteworthy as an example of the overhang construction with original drops and stone chimney.


THE WILLIAMS HOUSE, EAST HARTFORD, CONNECTICUT.

Characteristics of Connecticut third period work.


THE WAIT HOUSE, SOUTH LYME, MASSACHUSETTS [CONNECTICUT].
Unsymmetrical placing of the windows.
OLD HOUSE AT FARMINGTON, CONNECTICUT.

Gambrel of the third period with plan of the first period.


THE THOMAS LEE HOUSE, EAST LYME, MASSACHUSETTS [CONNECTICUT].
Original part of house built about 1660.
THE DEMING HOUSE, WETHERSFIELD, CONNECTICUT.

Center doorway with one window on either side.


THE ELLSWORTH HOUSE, WINDSOR, CONNECTICUT.

Two-story end treatment is interesting. Classic proportions for columns have been disregarded, resulting in a delicacy which is peculiarly appropriate to wood.


HOUSE AT HILLSTEAD, FARMINGTON, CONNECTICUT.

Excellent but rather sophisticated example of the type of house which embraces elements of design from several periods, all probably earlier than itself.


HOUSE OF GOVERNOR RICHARD GRISWOLD, BLACKHALL, CONNECTICUT.

Built 1800. An unusual and interesting composition in spite of the regrettable bay.


THE ORTON HOUSE, WOODBURY, CONNECTICUT


HOUSE AT WOODBURY, CONNECTICUT


THE JABES BACON HOUSE, ON THE LOWER ROAD, WOODBURY, CONNECTICUT.
One of the earliest Woodbury houses of the double overhang type. The clapboards are fastened by boat nails left clearly exposed and painted over. The porch is of much later date.


THE LOCKWOOD HOUSE, CROMWELL, CONNECTICUT.
The main house is over two hundred years old. The gambrel roofed ell composes nicely with the single-pitch roof of the house.

HOUSE NEAR SANDY HOOK, CONNECTICUT, ON THE SOUTHBURY ROAD.
Typical of the early eighteenth century houses of the lean-to variety in this section. The windows are divided into twenty-four lights. The original gutters were of wood.


HOUSE ON THE LOWER ROAD, WOODBURY, CONNECTICUT.
A most picturesque composition nestling in valley. One of the few homes remaining in almost their original state: the unsightly modern leader across the end is unfortunate.

THE OLD "GLEGE" HOUSE, LOWER ROAD, WOODBURY, CONNECTICUT.
Built in 1771. The very broad corner boards are painted on both sides without using a stile and the molding is returned across the top. The first Episcopalian bishop in America was selected in this house.


THE SANFORD HOUSE, LITCHFIELD, CONNECTICUT.

OLD HOUSE AT RIDGEFIELD, CONNECTICUT.
The lines on the porch roof have been softened by a very happy treatment.


THE MARSHALL HOUSE, WOODBURY, CONNECTICUT.
The wing is the original house and is over two hundred and thirty years old. The row of two-story columns of the living-porch is characteristic of this section and a pleasing method of handling the piazza problem.


THE BOSTWICK HOUSE, SOUTHBURY, CONNECTICUT.
The fenestration is excelling for a small house and the detail of cornice and window trim very carefully designed.


OLD SLAVE QUARTERS OF THE BACON HOUSE, WOODBURY, CONNECTICUT.
The building was once used as a tea room.
THE PHILO BISHOP HOUSE, GUILFORD, CONNECTICUT. Built circa 1665.


THE STARR HOUSE, GUILFORD, CONNECTICUT. Built circa 1665.


THE HYLAND-WILDMAN HOUSE, GUILFORD, CONNECTICUT.


THE ACADIAN HOUSE, GUILFORD, CONNECTICUT. Circa 1670.


THE BALDWIN HOUSE, BRANFORD, CONNECTICUT. Circa 1645.


THE WALKER HOUSE, STRATFORD, CONNECTICUT. Built circa 1670.


THE HALE HOUSE, SOUTH COVENTRY, CONNECTICUT.


THE HOLLISTER HOUSE, SOUTH GLASTONBURY, CONNECTICUT. Built circa 1675.


THE GOLDSMITH HOUSE, BETWEEN GUILFORD AND BRANFORD, CONNECTICUT. Built circa 1700.


THE SHELDON HOUSE, LITCHFIELD CONNECTICUT. Built in 1760. Detail of Entrance and Front Facade.
THE GOVERNOR WOLCOTT HOUSE, SOUTH STREET, LITCHFIELD, CONNECTICUT. Built in 1753. 


THE TALLMADGE HOUSE, LITCHFIELD, CONNECTICUT. Built in 1775 by Thomas Sheldon.


THE REEVE-WOODRUFF HOUSE, LITCHFIELD, CONNECTICUT. Built in 1773.


THE SEYMOUR HOUSE, LITCHFIELD, CONNECTICUT. (Now St. Michael's Rectory.)


AN OLD STORE BUILDING, LITCHFIELD, CONNECTICUT. Built in 1781. Originally located on North Street.


THE BUTLER HOUSE, LITCHFIELD CONNECTICUT. Built in 1792.


THE PHELPS HOUSE, LITCHFIELD, CONNECTICUT. The oldest house on East Street, built in 1782.


THE SEYMOUR HOMESTEAD, LITCHFIELD, CONNECTICUT. Built in 1867.


W.H. SANFORD HOUSE, LITCHFIELD, CONNECTICUT. Built by Dr. Alanson Abbey about 1832.


THE DEMING HOUSE, NORTH STREET, LITCHFIELD, CONNECTICUT. Built in 1793.


A HOUSE IN NORTH STREET, LITCHFIELD, CONNECTICUT. Built in 1785.


THE SANFORD HOUSE, LITCHFIELD, CONNECTICUT. Built in 1771.


BACON HOUSE, KENT, CONNECTICUT.


HOUSE AT SANDY HOOK, CONNECTICUT.


ANOTHER HOUSE AT SANDY HOOK, CONNECTICUT.


HOUSE AT SHARON, CONNECTICUT.


HOUSE NEAR SHARON, CONNECTICUT. "Jackson Farm."


HOUSE IN WEST STREET, DANBURY, CONNECTICUT. Entrance Detail.


HOUSE AT GUILFORD, CONNECTICUT.


THE JESSUP HOUSE, WESTPORT, CONNECTICUT.


THE OLD ACADEMY, FAIRFIELD, CONNECTICUT.


HOUSE AT GROTON CENTER, CONNECTICUT.


HOUSE AT OLD MYSTIC, CONNECTICUT.


HOUSE NEAR WESTBROOK, CONNECTICUT.
HOUSE AT GROTON CENTER, CONNECTICUT.
THE STAUNTON HOUSE, CLINTON, CONNECTICUT.
HOUSE AT OLD LYME, CONNECTICUT.
THE COUNTY COURT HOUSE, NEW LONDON, CONNECTICUT.
THE CADWALLADER SIMPKINS HOUSE. The large shagbark in the front yard was planted at the time of the raising of the frame of the house.
THE SALMON WHITE HOUSE ON MAIN STREET. The clapboards were originally painted a deep saffrom, but this has lately been changed and the effectiveness of the house somewhat diminished in consequence.
THE PODBURY-IVES HOUSE. Ruben Duren, Architect. Forms a chaste silhouette on the heights overlooking the river.
THE HEMAN BILLINGS HOUSE. Southwesterly view, Note the quality of line given to the facade by the modulation of the siding.
URIEL UNDERWOOD'S HOUSE FROM THE RIVER. The proportion and balance  betwee the outbuildings and the main house is particularly good.
THE LEMUEL SHORT HOUSE. Now occupied by his great-grandnephew [at the time of publishing].
THE OBADIAH WITHERSPOON HOUSE ON CENTRE STREET. Note the perfect preservation of the Ionic capitals, carved from solid blocks of clear white pine.
THE FIRST MEETING HOUSE OF THE STOTHAM CONGREGATIONAL SOCIETY. Built on the foundations of an earlier church. The detail of the entablature and the modulation of the pilasters are more refined than those of the first church.
THE JOHN PRATT HOUSE, MAIN STREET, ESSEX, CONNECTICUT.


THE LONG YELLOW HOUSE AT WEST AVENUE, ESSEX, CONNECTICUT.


THE OLD SHIP TAVERN, ESSEX, CONNECTICUT. Side elevation.


THE OLD SHIP TAVERN, ESSEX, CONNECTICUT. From the River Side.


THE OLD STARKEY PLACE, MAIN STREET, ESSEX, CONNECTICUT.


NO. 27 MAIN STREET, ESSEX, CONNECTICUT.


THE OLD TOWN HALL ON THE HILL, ESSEX, CONNECTICUT.


TWO HOUSES ON ESSEX MAIN STREET.


THE "COLONEL LEWIS" HOUSE, MAIN STEET, ESSEX. CONNECTICUT.


ONE OF THE OLD HOUSES ON LITTLE POINT STREET, ESSEX, CONNECTICUT.


THE PRATT HOUSE ON BACK STREET, ESSEX, CONNECTICUT.
THE GEORGE HAYDEN HOUSE, LITTLE POINT STREET, ESSEX, CONNECTICUT.
THE OLD PARKER HOMESTEAD ON WEST AVENUE, ESSEX, CONNECTICUT.
Source: Research by Bryan Wright

Comments (1) 
RickS
07/18/19
I used to work for a millwork company in Delaware. The owner had most of the White Pine Series books, original editions. They were kept in the break room and I spent a month of lunch times carefully going through them. They greatly fueled my love for early American architecture and woodworking. Very nice to have access to them again. Thanks.
Colonial Sense is an advocate for global consumer privacy rights, protection and security.
All material on this website © copyright 2009-19 by Colonial Sense, except where otherwise indicated.
ref:T1-S1-P121-C179-M