Search   
 
 
 
Commerce
borndied
17761843, Sep 18
an Irish sugar planter and slave owner in Saint Ann Parish, Jamaica, which he represented in the House of Assembly of Jamaica for 22 years. He gave his name to Hamilton Town in Saint Ann Parish, now Brown's Town, which he founded. Brown began his career as an estate bookkeeper but acquired significant land holdings and agricultural interests in Jamaica. He was a pen-keeper (cattle breeder) and was responsible for a large cattle fair held on Pedro Plains in Saint Elizabeth Parish in 1829. He also grew sugar and owned the Antrim, Colliston, Grier Park, and Minard plantations, all in Saint Ann Parish, as well as having interests in numerous others.
 Gallery (1)

Thumbnail
Colonial Sense is an advocate for global consumer privacy rights, protection and security.
All material on this website © copyright 2009-19 by Colonial Sense, except where otherwise indicated.
ref:T5-S50-P1196-CPerson-M