Search   
 
 
 
UNDER CONSTRUCTION UNDER CONSTRUCTION UNDER CONSTRUCTION UNDER CONSTRUCTION UNDER CONSTRUCTION UNDER CONSTRUCTION UNDER CONSTRUCTION UNDER CONSTRUCTION UNDER CONSTRUCTION
Name
Country
US State
Active
Sort
Selected
 
Find:  

Cabot Blockhouse

Cabot Blockhouse

VT
builtin usedestroyed
unknown1779-1782unknown
A blockhouse built by Continental troops under General Moses Hazen to protect the new military road (Hazen Road) built between Newbury and Lowell. The road was never finished past Hazen's Notch, but the blockhouses were still garrisoned by militia until the end of the war.
Timeline (2)

Fort Cap au Gris

Fort Cap au Gris

aka: Capo Gray
MO
builtdestroyed
1814unknown
a temporary fort built in September 1814 near Troy, Missouri during the War of 1812 by Missouri Rangers under the direction of Nathan Boone, son of Daniel Boone. After the defeat of Fort Johnson, U.S. Army soldiers under the command of Zachary Taylor retreated to Cap au Gris in October 1814. The Battle of the Sink Hole was fought near Cap au Gris in May 1815...
more
Timeline (2)Links (1)

Fort Casimir

Fort Casimir

DE
builtdestroyed
unknownunknown
a Dutch fort in the seventeenth-century colony of New Netherland. It was located on a no-longer existing barrier island at the end of Chestnut Street in what is now New Castle, Delaware. The fort changed hands several times.Shortly after his arrival to take up his position as up as Director-General of New Netherland in 1647, Peter Stuyvesant, attempted to re...
more
Timeline (2)Links (1)

Fort Caspar

Fort Caspar

aka: Platte Bridge Station
WY
builtdestroyed
unknownunknown
a military post of the United States Army in present-day Wyoming, named after 2nd Lieutenant Caspar Collins, a U.S. Army officer who was killed in the 1865 Battle of the Platte Bridge Station against the Lakota and Cheyenne. Founded in 1859 along the banks of the North Platte River as a trading post and toll bridge on the Oregon Trail, the post was later tak...
more
Timeline (2)Links (1)

Fort Cassin

Fort Cassin

VT
builtin usedestroyed
unknown1813 - 1815unknown
A seven-gun earthwork built to defend the temporary Naval Shipyard at Vergennes. It was attacked once by the British in 1814. Site located at the mouth of Otter Creek near Kingsland Bay State Park. No remains, no marker.
Timeline (2)

Fort Caswell

Fort Caswell

NC
builtdestroyed
unknownunknown
The original fort, named after former governor Richard Caswell and completed in 1836 at a cost of $473,402, was fortified with both brick walls and large earthworks in a pentagonal design. Fortified with over 61 gun emplacements, it guarded the mouth of the C...
more
Timeline (2)Links (1)

Fort Cedar

Fort Cedar

SD
builtdestroyed
1856unknown
Sorry, no biographical info available...
Timeline (2)

Champlain Arsenal

Champlain Arsenal

VT
builtin usedestroyed
unknown1826-1872unknown
A Federal arsenal with Officers' quarters, barracks, magazine, and ordnance and munitions storehouses, on 28 acres. It was sold to the state in 1873 to become the State Reform School for Troubled Youth. In 1907 the school was expanded and renamed the Vermont Industrial School. It was renamed the Governor Weeks School in 1937, closed in 1979. Now the Northlan...
more
Timeline (2)Links (2)

Chimney Point

Chimney Point

VT
builtin usedestroyed
unknown1690-1777unknown
Located across from Crown Point, New York. Capt. Jacobus de Warm's Stockade was built here by the New York militia in 1690 to observe French movements. The French built Fort Pointe à la Chevelure or Fort de Pieux in 1731. It was a 100-foot square stockade with four bastions, with three buildings. It was abandoned when Fort St. Frederic was completed at Crow...
more
Timeline (2)Links (1)

Fort Christian

Fort Christian

VI
builtdestroyed
unknownunknown
a Dano-Norwegian-built fort in Charlotte Amalie, Saint Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands. Built 1672-1680, early in the first successful colonial establishment on the island, the fort served as critical point of defense and government during entire period of Dano-Norwegian, and later Danish, administration, which ended in 1917 with the sale of the islands to the U...
more
Timeline (2)Links (1)

Fort Christina

Fort Christina

aka: Fort Altena
DE
builtdestroyed
unknownunknown
the first Swedish settlement in North America and the principal settlement of the New Sweden colony. Built in 1638 and named after Queen Christina of Sweden, it was located approximately 1 mi (1.6 km) east of the present downtown Wilmington, Delaware, at the confluence of the Brandywine River and the Christina River, approximately 2 mi (3 km) upstream from t...
more
Timeline (2)Links (1)

Fort Clark

Fort Clark

ND
builtdestroyed
unknownunknown
once the home to a Mandan and later an Arikara settlement. Over the course of its history it also had two factories (trading posts). Today only archeological remains survive at the site located eight miles west of Washburn, North Dakota, United States. In 1822, the Mandan tribe built a settlement with earth-covered lodges on the bluffs of the Missouri River....
more
Timeline (2)Links (1)

Fort Clatsop

Fort Clatsop

OR
builtdestroyed
unknownunknown
the encampment of the Lewis and Clark Expedition in the Oregon Country near the mouth of the Columbia River during the winter of 1805-1806. Located along the Lewis and Clark River at the north end of the Clatsop Plains approximately 5 miles (8.0 km) southwest of Astoria, the fort was the last encampment of the Corps of Discovery, before embarking on their r...
more
Timeline (2)Links (1)

Fortin Conde de Mirasol

Fortin Conde de Mirasol

aka: Fuerte de Vieques
PR
builtdestroyed
unknownunknown
a fort built in 1845 located in the town of Isabel Segunda in Vieques, an island municipality of Puerto Rico. In 1991, the fort was restored by the Institute of Puerto Rican Culture. The structure houses the Vieques Museum of Art and History and the Vieques Historic Archives, an extensive collection of documents related to the history of Vieques. It was list...
more
Timeline (2)Links (1)

Continental Storehouse

Continental Storehouse

VT
builtin usedestroyed
unknown1776unknown
A two-story wooden storehouse was built prior to 1777 to house foodstuffs and quartermaster supplies for the Continental Army. Located at the site of the Bennington Battle Monument, which was built in 1891.
Timeline (2)

Cooke's Hill Fort

Cooke's Hill Fort

VT
builtin usedestroyed
unknown1781unknown
A militia fort on Cooke's Hill.
Timeline (2)

Corinth Powder House

Corinth Powder House

VT
builtin usedestroyed
unknown1850sunknown
A powder house was noted on a 1858 town map of the Cookeville area.
Timeline (2)

Cowass

Cowass

VT
builtin usedestroyed
unknown1675unknown
An Abenaki Indian refugee village with a French Jesuit mission.
Timeline (2)

Fort Crawford

Fort Crawford

WI
builtdestroyed
unknownunknown
an outpost of the United States Army located in Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin, during the 19th century. The army's occupation of Prairie du Chien actually spanned the lifetime of two fortifications, both of them named Fort Crawford. The first of these was occupied from 1816–1832, the second from 1832 - 1856. Both of the forts formed part of a string of forti...
more
Timeline (2)Links (1)





Colonial Sense is an advocate for global consumer privacy rights, protection and security.
All material on this website © copyright 2009-19 by Colonial Sense, except where otherwise indicated.
ref:T1-S54-P1400-C-M